Art Appreciation, ART 1030
This Art Appreciation class is designed to increase awareness, knowledge, and enjoyment of the visual arts. Slide lectures and videos are presented to teach the meanings, purposes, styles, elements and principles of art, along with the various media and the history of art.
Text: Prebleís Artforms by Patrick Frank, 8th edition. The textís web site is www.prenhall.com/preble. This textbook is available at the TTU bookstore during the semester that this class is taught by Dr. Ventura.
Assignments (Must be read before the topic is covered):
Part One: Art Is . . .
1. The Nature of Art
2. Awareness, Creativity, and Communication
Part Two: The Language of Visual Experience
3. Visual Elements
4. Principles of Design
5. Evaluating Art
Part Three: The Media of Art
9. Camera Arts and Digital Imaging
10. Graphic Design and Illustration
12. Clay, Glass, Metal, Wood, Fiber
13. Architecture and Environmental Design
Four: Art as Cultural Heritage
14. From the Earliest to the Bronze Age
15. The Classical and Medieval West
16. Renaissance and Baroque Europe
17. Traditional Arts of Asia
18. The Islamic World
19. Africa, Oceania, and the Americas
Five: The Modern World
20. Late Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries
21. Early Twentieth Century
22. Between World Wars
23. Postwar Modern Movements in the West
24. Modern Art Beyond the West
THIS IS A BRIEF SUMMARY. SEE THE CLASS SYLLABUS ON ILEARN FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Good art history links:
Link to Dr. Carol Ventura's Home Page